Applications are submitted online or mailed to City Hall. Read details on how to apply for each position.
Jobs Currently Available:
LIBRARY ASSISTANT (PART TIME)
This is a paraprofessional position in a public library. Staff member will be responsible for assisting with day-to-day operations of a community library that includes diverse ages and ethnicities. Position requires member to work under the direction of the library director, librarian, or senior staff.
- High School Graduate or equivalent
- Prior library experience preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills. Ability to speak Spanish a plus.
- Ability to use computers and applicable software.
- PART-TIME. Must be able to work 2 Saturdays a month (9:30 am - 1 pm), and Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Not to exceed 19.5 hours in a week.
- Stand/Walk for at least 4 hours at a time; Lift/move 50+ pounds
- Raise arms above shoulder height to retrieve/shelve/organize materials
- Stoop & bend to collect materials from book drops
- Understand the chain of command and work with little or no supervision
- Work well with public using diplomacy, discretion, flexibility and cooperation
- Explain to and assist patrons in locating and using library materials. Use computers and applicable software (Windows-based) to search for materials, check materials in/out, reserve materials, register new patrons, etc.
- Help patrons use computers, software, and databases
- Search database, issue library cards, perform Internet searches, etc.
- Answers the telephone, performs telephone reference, and referral.
- Help patron make copies or send faxes.
- Any additional duties as required from patron interaction or requested by director.
HOURLY RATE is $9.42 per hour. NO MEDICAL, DENTAL, SICK/VACATION, HOLIDAY, OR RETIREMENT BENEFITS PAID.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE CITY OF MONTEVALLO WEBSITE AND SUBMIT AN APPLICATION.
Recycling Center Laborer (Click here to download a printable job description)
Department: Public Works
Reports To: Sustainability Coordinator
FLSA Status: Part Time (20 hours / week)
Grade 4: $9.15 / hour
Effective Date: 12/06/2019
The Recycling Center Laborer is responsible for operating and maintaining the Montevallo Recycling Center.
Essential Functions of the Job:
Operates Equipment at the Recycling Center
Bails, compacts, and weighs materials
Operates a skid steer to relocate materials
Keeps the premises clean
Maintains the recycling equipment and grounds
Ensures that all equipment, materials, and work conditions are adequately maintained to prevent accidents
Assists the Sustainability Coordinator as needed
Job Location and Equipment Operated
Duties are performed in both the field and office setting
Field equipment operated: skid steer, compactor, bailer, shovel, broom, and rake
Office equipment operated: computer, calculator, copy machine, and telephone
Vehicle: may be required to drive a city vehicle to other city facilities
Must possess and maintain a valid Alabama Driver's License and an acceptable driving record
Require background check and pre-employment drug screen
Knowledge and Abilities:
Ability to operate a Bob Cat (skid steer), bailer, compactior, and other Recycling Center equipment and machinery
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, bend, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and to reach with hands and arms, talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move heavy objects. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Outdoor. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interview and reference check, and job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
All applicants tentatively selected for this position will be required to submit to a drug screen prior to appointment. Final appointment to this position is contingent upon a satisfactory drug test result.
Complete an online Employment Application.
Resumes may be mailed to:
City of Montevallo
ATTN: Human Resources
541 Main Street | Montevallo, AL 35115
The City of Montevallo, Alabama is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.